- Schinoussa is located in the middle of the East Small Cyclades complex, S of Naxos and NE of Irakleia.
- It covers an extent of just 8.1km2 with an estimated coastline length of 25.4km.
- Its terrain does not show big slopes and its highest point is Mylos with an altitude of 133m. Its contour however is quite irregular, resulting in the formation of quite a few bays with sandy as well as rocky beaches.
- The climate is mild, with a low thermometric range. It is characterized by mild winters and extended dry summers.
- The archaeological mattock has brought to light findings which show that Schinoussa participated actively in the formation of the Early-Cycladic civilization which had neighboring Keros as its epicentre. However, during the Turkish occupation it had been deserted due to pirate invasions. It started being re-colonized since the middle 19th century mainly by Amorgian fishermen and cattle breeders.
- The entire island is integrated in the European network of the nature’s protection NATURA 2000.