The island of Amorgos is located on the eastern edge of the Cyclades, towards the Dodecanyse and it covers an area of 121 sq. km. The length of its coastlines is 126 km.
Its shape is long and narrow. It is run by mountainous masses, with its highest peak being Krikelos or Kroukelos (822 m), which has overgrown oak trees and rich plantation until the conflagration of 1835.
Due to its mountainous masses the island is divided in two sections –Kato Meria (southwest) and Apano Meria (Giali) northeast. Until the 80s, when it was supplied with electric power and dirt roads were opened, the only way of communication between one side with the other was the pebble-paved road starting from Chora, along with its detours.
The coasts of Amorgos are quite steep. The western coast has a few windless coves, such as the ports of Katapola and Aegiali, Finikes, Kato Kambos, Agios Pavlos, Paradisia. On the contrary, the eastern coast has a very steep terrain.
The impressive surface ground of Amorgos’s grand rift dominates over its SE side creating a coast which looks unwordly. This active rift is connected to the earthquake of 1956, measuring 7.4 degrees of Richter scale, one of the most destructive earthquakes in the Aegean. Parts of the island have been integrated in the municipal network of protected areas NATURA 2000.
The northeastern part has been characterized as a Special Protection Area and the northern one as a Site of Community Importance.
It constitutes an Important Area for the Birds of Greece.