Your browser does not support JavaScript!

background image background image background image
logo Rhodes

Agios Isidoros

Traditional coffee shops and taverns, grocery shops with stalls and old scales, great wine: This mountainous village appears to be still living in the 60s. If you take a walk inside the village, you will find out that most of the houses have a wood-fired oven in their backyard –after all, women still knead and bake the bread themselves. 
map add mapadd


Apolakkia, a traditionally farming village, carries on tradition until today. Its main product is watermelon and every year on the first Saturday after the celebration of Agia Marina’s (Saint Marina) name day (the 17th July) the watermelon festival is held, with food, sports and games “starring” watermelons. The village maintains its island colors, with white houses, gardens and flowers  
map add mapadd


It is a mountainous farming village, surrounded by a pine and cypress tree forest. It is famous for its production of melons, watermelons and tomatoes. It has been inhabited for at least 3,000 years. Ruins of houses, the aqueduct and ruins of an early Christian church survive today. In 1926 Archipolis was destroyed by an earthquake and had to be built from scratch. The old village is located next to the new one, at the foot of the mountain Axintes. In the location called Kryoneri, 1km away from the village, the church of Agios Nektarios (Saint Nektarios) is located and in front of it there is a huge plane tree. It is said to be 2,500 years old and that under its shade the Apostle Paul had preached.  
map add mapadd


A picturesque village, built on a hillside. At a distance of 5km north of Arnitha, in a location called Agia Irini (Saint Irene), you can see the ruins of two early Christian churches. The largest one that built around the second half of the 6th century is believed to have been dedicated to Saint Irene. There are still pieces of mosaic floors and architectural marble element, although many of them have already been looted to be used in the reconstruction of other churches or houses. The baptistery of Hagia Irini, namely a four-cornered marble baptismal font decorated with relief crosses, was moved by the Italians to Rhodes: it is the fountain on Argyrokastrou square.  
map add mapadd


A small village on the eastern hillside of the mountain Profitis Elias (Prophet Elijah), with a great view and several tavernas serving meat dishes. If you take a walk around the narrow inner paths, you will also find several houses that preserve the traditional architecture and have very nice-looking gardens.
map add mapadd


It is said that the village owes its name to a certain “asklipieio” (sanctuary of Asclepius) that existed in antiquity, but no such trace has been found. A hallmark of Asklipio village is the small castle of the Knights of Saint John, located at hilltop. It was built by the Byzantines and restored by the Master Pierre d’ Aubusson in 1474-79. In the centre of Asklipio stands perhaps the oldest Byzantine church of the island, Kimisi tis Theotokou (the Assumption of the Virgin Mary).  
map add mapadd


he plain of Archangelos, called Ethonas, is among the most fertile of Rhodes and the village, with a population of 5,500 inhabitants, is the second largest on the island, following Ialyssos (Trianta). The tallest building of Archangelos village is the bell tower of the church of the Taxiarchis (the Archangels Michael and Gabriel), built in the 19th century. Remarkable 14th-century religious paintings can be seen in the church of Agios Ioannis o Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist). In the folklore museum ceramics, woven cloths, embroideries and other creations of traditional home-based folk art are exhibited.
map add mapadd


This large village is not particularly touristic, despite the fact that it has quite a few bars, restaurants, cafes, etc. It has narrow streets with small traditional houses combined with new structures of concrete and aluminum. Women in Afandou were famous for the elaborate carpets they weaved. Although this art is on the decline, the village remains the centre of the carpet-making industry on the island, having several workshops where carpets are made or sold. In the folklore museum located behind the church of the patron saint Agios Loukas (Saint Luke) you can see carpets that represent the style of Afandou weaving, as well as local costumes, household items, etc.   Info Above the beach of Afandou there is a golf court.
map add mapadd


A small village with a very beautiful square and a wonderful coffee house made of stone (it is an inn from 1780) and located under the thick shade of trees. The church of Agios Ioannis o Theologos (Saint John the Theologian) is a typical example of a church in the Dodecanese. On the mountain over the village there are many crawlways, which the locals call “roufoukia” (shelters) –some of them even connect to the other side of the mountain. Italian soldiers had opened them when they encamped in Vati.  
map add mapadd


It is a tourist village in southern Rhodes, which partly preserves its traditional architecture. It has taverns, coffee houses, tourist shops and many rooms to let. Every year in September the Tourism festival is held in Gennadi, namely a celebration to say goodbye to summer.  
map add mapadd


Damatría or Damatriá was one of the municipalities (demoi) of ancient Ialyssos. It is believed that in ancient times here the location of a temple of Demeter was located and the goddess’ name reached our times paraphrased as Damatria. Outside Damatria there is an ostrich breeding farm which can be visited by tourists.    
map add mapadd


It is located in a verdant area, at the foot of the mountain Profitis Elias. It is named after the two mills that are located at the two ends of the village. The village is small, with white houses and a small square, taverns and coffee houses. The old olive-oil press is now a folklore museum.   
map add mapadd


A mountainous village (altitude 700 m), built on a slope of Atavyros, the highest mountain on Rhodes (1215 m). It is renowned for its wines, costumes and (female) dancers. The name derives from the word “amvon” (ambo – Ambos were called by the Rhodians all the spots where the mountain tops could be accessed from).
map add mapadd

Ialyssos (Trianta)

Trianta is located at the edge of the homonymous bay, where the settlements of ancient Ialyssos lay –hence the name Ialyssos. The name Trianta, according to one version, derives from the word “andriantas” (statue). It is said that two old men buried a statue in this area in order to hide it from the Ottomans. According to another version, the place owes its name to the numeral 30, because in the Middle Ages here was the site of a large fertile piece of land, which was divided into 30 lots. At the square the women of the village have created a so-called “Traditional House”, where furniture, utensils and tools from the previous century are exhibited. The Stamatiadis Mineralogy and Paleontology private museum is also operating in the village. At the top of the hill Filerimos, high above Trianta village, two important monuments overhang: the acropolis of ancient Ialyssos and the medieval monastery of Kira tou Filerimou (Our Lady of Filerimos).  
map add mapadd

Ixia (Ixos)

It is a modern tourist resort on the northwestern coast of Rhodes. Its old name was Mixi (mix), deriving from the merge of the streams that came down the surrounding hills. Several holiday villas of Rhodians and Italians, built in the early 20th century, are still preserved.   
map add mapadd


One of the smallest villages on Rhodes, featuring abundant water and lots of drinking fountains, quite a few coffee houses and restaurants. On the square stands the large church of Hagios Merkourios (Saint Mercurius). A little further you can see a beautiful Arab drinking fountain built by the Italians.   
map add mapadd


A former Muslim village, owned by a Turk landowner. When the Italians bought it, its inhabitants migrated to Asia Minor and the city of Rhodes. It was colonized by Italian farmers and its name was changed to Peveragno. It was one of the four Italian “experimental” farming villages. After 1948 it reclaimed its Greek name, Kalamonas, and the fields were distributed to Greek growers.  
map add mapadd


It is one of the largest and full of life villages of Rhodes, which has an ideal square, where you can make a stop for coffee or souma (a drink made of grapes). Outside the village there is the cave of Ai Giorgis (St. George), where there is evidence of habitation from the Early Neolithic Era.    
map add mapadd


It is located at the southernmost part of the island, in a fertile valley which provides the entire island of Rhodes with agricultural products. It is a beautiful and quiet traditional village with small colorful houses. In Kattavia there are also several big houses that used to be holiday villas of the Italians. Worth seeing is the church of Saint Paraskevi (1850), featuring an impressive bell tower.     
map add mapadd

Kamiros Skala

It is a port with fish taverns. This was the place where Althemenes from Crete landed and built ancient Kritinia. But the nearby village, formerly named Kastellos and currently Kritinia, usurped the name (and reputation). Althemenes was the son of Catreus and grandson of Minos. It is said that he had received an oracle that he was going to kill his father, so he rushed to avoid his cruel fate. He migrated from Crete to Rhodes and founded the city of Kritinia. Someday, however, Catreus set off with ships from Crete to find his lost son again. They arrived in Kritinia but the locals mistook them for pirates and attacked them. Althemenes killed his father with his own hands and the oracle came true. As soon as he realized what he had done, he wished the earth would open and swallow him –which is exactly what happened. The Rhodians honored him as a hero.    
map add mapadd


In the interwar period the Italians had founded here a model farming village and they grew vines, olive trees, citrus and apricot trees. A remain of that era are the irrigation ditches and reservoirs at the side of the village’s streets (the water was coming from the famous Seven Springs). The village was then called San Benedetto. Today it is called Kolymbia and it has been transformed into a holiday resort, suitable for those who love fun, the sea and water sports.  
map add mapadd


Pyliones are called the Rhodian house exterior doors made of tufa. Koskinou village is famous for its pyliones. Some of them have the natural beige color of tufa, others are whitewashed, while others are painted in vivid colors. The doors are made of wood or iron, also painted in the same bright colors, and they lead to small, full of flowers, courtyards with floors paved with “chochlakia”. Koskinou has been declared a preserved village.   Info Worth visiting is the folklore museum called “the House in Koskinou”, which is a representation of a traditional folk house.  
map add mapadd


A large village with life both in summer and winter. It owes its name, Kremasti (hanging), most probably to the fact that it is “hanging” around a rocky hill. It is, however, possible that the name derives from corruption of the phrase “Gran Maestri”. In the Kremasti castle, the ruins of which are located on the hill, the Grand Masters used to spend their summer vacations. Finally, there is another version, according to which the name comes from a certain feudal lord of the 16th century who was hanged from a tree along with his daughter. The most beautiful building in the village is the library, which can be found at the square. It is a donation of the Greek American immigrants of the Association “Elpis” (“Hope”).       
map add mapadd


The village was formerly called Kastellos, due to the castle built by the Knights on a high rock outside the settlement. In 1948 it was decided that it should receive a Greek name, so it was renamed Kritinia. The Kritinia castle, or Kastellos, overhangs on a rock above the sea. The first written mention of it as Castel Nuovo dates back to 1480. Inside it there are the remains of the buildings where the guard resided and the ruins of the catholic church of Hagios Pavlos (Saint Paul).
map add mapadd


Láerma (stressed on the first syllable /a/), or Laérma (stressed on /e/) as you may often hear it, is a farming village in the centre of the island, surrounded by mountains and a greenery landscape. It is one of the most remote villages of Rhodes and very few tourists reach up here. The word “Ladarma”, where the name of the village derives from, is pre-Hellenic and means “the people of Hermes”.   Info Four km outside the village the Tharri (Courage) monastery (or monastery of Archaggelos Michail o Tharrinos - Archangel Michael the Courage Giver) is located.  
map add mapadd


A small farming village with lush green vegetable gardens, abundant water and windmills that indicate its agrarian tradition. Several of the houses in Lachania have been bought by mostly German artists. Some of the residents of the village are Muslims.   
map add mapadd


It is the most famous village on Rhodes island featuring a unique architecture. It is visited every year by hundreds of thousands of tourists. The narrow streets with the arches are a true labyrinth, where it seems impossible not to get lost! Fortunately one can easily find his/ her direction based on the location of the castle of Lindos, which is visible everywhere in the village.
map add mapadd


Ancient Lartos was famous for the stone deriving from its region, namely the grayish marble that the Rhodians used in order to build their statues. It is said that Athena Lindia was also made of Lartian stone. Modern Lardos has retained its traditional character, although thousands of tourists are visiting the area. Half a kilometer outside the village are the ruins of a Byzantine castle that was given by the Knights to the Genoese adventurer Vignolo de Vignoli, as a reward for helping them occupy the island. Four kilometers east of the village there is the monastery of Ypseni, where 15 nuns live. The katholikon (temple) featuring impressive arches dates back to 1755.   Info A go-kart track is operating at the beach of Lardos.   
map add mapadd


A village of low profile, with cafes, bars and a tavern. On the hill outside the village there is a restored windmill. In Maritsa the Italians had constructed a military airfield, which is now being used as a go-kart and modeling racetrack as well as for car and motorcycle races.  
map add mapadd


A quite large village that has been built in the overgrown with olive, orange, mandarin orange, walnut and cypress tree valley of Ethonas –one of the wealthiest agricultural areas of Rhodes. Malona’s hamlet is the seaside Charaki, a former fishing village that has grown into a tourist resort. At its end, on a big rock in the sea, stands the Byzantine Feraklos (or Faraklos) castle, which was the first one to be occupied by the Knights in September 1306. This was the summer house of the Master Orsini and here was Amurat, son of the deposed Ottoman Sultan Djem, hosted. The castle is accessible through a path and stairs.   
map add mapadd


A small village, built amphitheatrically at the foot of Mount Akramytis. It has a spectacular view of the sea, traditional small houses with “patelia” (traditional insulating material) on the rooftops, taverns and a hotel. The most important attraction is located outside the village: it is the Monolithos castle. Just before the castle there is a ring road on the right which runs through the western side of Mount Akramytis and ends just outside Siana village. It is one of the most beautiful trails in the area, entirely through the forest.  
map add mapadd


Messanagros is probably the most isolated village on Rhodes island. It is located in the centre of southern Rhodes, on a plateau in the forest, away from everything. It is a quiet farming village with many derelict early Christian churches. Five km west of Messanagros, perched on a hill, lies the monastery of Panagia Skiadeni (Virgin Mary the “Shade casting”).  
map add mapadd


The small whitewashed stone houses, the narrow streets and the lack of tourism characterize this village, which seems to be living in past decades. The stone church of Archangel Michael on the square of Profilia village (the locals call it Ai Giorgis – St. George), features remarkable religious paintings from the early 17th century.   
map add mapadd


Platania village is a balcony surrounded by greenery. The view of the mountain and the valley across the village is magnificent. There are small white-washed houses with gardens, two Italian buildings (the police department and a warehouse) and a taverna. Six kilometers further, on the way to Apollona village, you can find the starting point of a 16-kilometer dirt road, which ends at Laerma. It is one of the most beautiful forest trails on the island.   
map add mapadd


“Bastida” is the Latin word for “bastion”. It seems that in earlier times there was a tower in this location, which supported the defense of the nearby fortress of Filerimos. The village offers rooms to let and hotels.  
map add mapadd


Rhodes’ airport is located here. The village used to be called Villanova, after the castle that the Master Villeneuve had built there. Paradisi is the name of the nearby mountain, after which the village was named later, when the Italians left the island. During the Middle Ages in Paradisi there were vast gardens and the villas of the Florentine merchants Bardi and Peruzzi.   
map add mapadd


Siana is a small village nestled on the slopes of Mount Akramytis (825m) and famous for the production of honey and souma, which are sold on stalls in the village shops. In August, the Honey and Souma Festival is held on the square, with honey sweets (melekouni, loukoumades (fried balls of dough), pancakes, plenty of souma, meze (tidbits), bands and dancing groups. For the church clock on the square, time has stopped. Its hands are painted and constantly point at 10 to 7. The locals say that this was the time when the building of the church started and it was the same time, after many years, when it ended.   
map add mapadd


A large village at the foot of the mountain Profitis Elias. Near the square there is a folklore museum operating as a representation of the traditional house of Salakos with the utensils and tools used by older people, while the ruins of a medieval castle that was destroyed in 1480 are found above the village.
map add mapadd


A large village in the plains. An old house in Soroni serves as a folklore museum where decorative plates, authentic traditional costumes, furniture and woven cloths are exhibited. Amidst a beautiful pine tree forest, a few kilometers away from the village, the monastery of Hagios Soulas (Saint Silas) is located. This location became known due to the presence of a spring with healing water, or the “holy water”, as the locals call it.   
map add mapadd


A true paradise for those who love fun – especially young people. The main street is full of bars, restaurants and everything else that might be related to entertainment, such as bungee jumping and go-cart tracks. At the beach you can try a variety of water sports and you will find many beach bars.  
map add mapadd


Psinthos has one of the biggest squares in the Dodecanese. During the Italian occupation it was the place where the 12,000 soldiers that camped in the village would be called up – after all, that is why it is so big. Its only décor are 4-5 centenarian olive trees. Several grill houses and coffee shops are located around the square. The water flowing in the village is abundant. The biggest spring, called Fassouli, has particularly palatable water and is located further down the central square. In front of the spring a beautiful small lake has been formed, where the gizani, the rare endemic small fish of Rhodes, lives. At the other end of the square there is an Ottoman water fountain.     
map add mapadd
1 2 3 4 5 Next »
July  2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
<< >>
My Aegean
Co-financed by Greece and the European Union - European Regional Development Fund