16 windmills are preserved in the area of Aegiali and 7 in Kato Meria. Above Amorgos’s Chora there are 11 windmills remaining today which once supplied the local families. They stopped operating in the 20th century. During the Occupation they continued grinding by overlooking the orders of the conquerors. The first mill, Kalogerikos, belonged to the monastery of Hozoviotissa and today it is ruined. The second mill (counting from the area of Kalogerikos) dates back to 1837. One more windmill has been restored by the Municipality of Amorgos.