The abandoned settlement of Koniario is located north of Palaio Pyli, on the road connecting Amani with Lagoudi. The ancient history buff Iakovos Zarraftis, who was born on the island, mentioned that in 1917 the settlement used to have 25 houses where 100 Turkish-speaking farmers lived and it also used to have a teacher and a headman who answered to the governor of Pyli. The Muslim residents lived in the village until 1952. Then they moved away. The ruins of a mosque and some two-storey rural houses plastered with red mortar or ochre still exist today. Info The nearby forest is a protected woodland with special areas for strolls and picnics created by the local authorities.
Kos is the only island of the Dodecanese that has three kinds of mineral hot springs due to its volcanism: warm, lukewarm and cold. Note that none of them is operated as a spa. All of those springs are freely accessible to the public provided that you find a way, a vehicle and a map to get you there. The most important of them are: The hot spring of Agios Fokas (Empros Thermes). It flows into the beach of Thermes. It is a thermal mineral spring with water reaching a temperature of 47o C. It has great concentrations of sulfur, potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium ions and is good for rheumatic diseases, arthritis and gynecological problems. The hot spring of Agia Irini (Piso Thermes). This spring is close to the previous one and is accessible by boat or by following a trail. It is lukewarm and has concentrations of chlorine and sodium. Its water reaches a temperature of 45o C and it is good for kidney diseases. The hot spring at Kokkinonero. It is located southwest of the Asclepeion flowing into its archaeological site. The water is ferruginous and rich in carbon oxides at a temperature of 22,5o C. It helps fight off dyspepsia and intestinal ailments. The Volkanon hot spring. Muddy mineral water that is suitable for mud baths springs from another point very close to the hot spring of Kokkinonero. Source: V.Hatzivasileiou: History of the island of Kos, 1990 pp. 23-24, www.thermalsprings.gr
The peacock forest
West of the international airport of the island and near Antimachia lies the forest of Plaka in an idyllic valley. It is a manmade forest as its trees were planted by Italians during the 1940s. From 1978 to 1980 the forest service of the island regenerated the forest. A small refuge for peacocks and other bird species was created in cooperation with the hunting club of Kos. Today this forest is a marvelous recreational area where the Turkish pine (Pinus Brutia) and the stone pine (Pinus Pinea) flourish. The peacock population has increased over the years and they easily approach anyone offering them seeds or bread as they have grown accustomed to human presence.