Your browser does not support JavaScript!

Login
   
background image background image background image
fulls
logo Naxos
AEGEAN ISLANDS

Churches of Naxos town

Catholic Catherdral. It was built in the early years of the Venetian rule (13th century) and it is the most important temple of the castle. Today it is five-aisled with three domes. The floor with the marble embossed coats of arms of Naxos Dukes is impressive. Four coats of arms can be seen above the central entrance, including those of Markos Sanoudos. In the central aisle there is an altar decorated with woodwork crafted by “tagiadoroi” from Chios in 1774 and the striking icon of Panagia Eleousa (Our Lady the Merciful) (11th or 12th century). The outdoor marble inlays of the church and the bell tower were constructed in 1963 by John Filippoti.

Tel. +30 22850 22470

Catholic Archdiocese. Behind the catholic cathedral there is the building of the Catholic Archdiocese of Naxos-Tinos-Andros-Mykonos and the Cathedral of the Aegean. It dates back to the 13th century and went through changes to take its current form in the 18th century. In 1207 it hosted the catholic Diocese of Naxos which in 1522 turned into an Archdiocese including all the islands. It is the oldest catholic archdiocese of the East and its interior is quite impressive. It houses an interesting collection of architectural parts and reliefs, folklore material, engravings, icons, ecclesiastical utensils etc.

Tel. +30 22850 22292

The Chapel of Sanoudos. Also known as Capella Kazatza (church – home) it is probably the chapel built by Markos Sanoudos in 13th or 14th century in order to be serviced next to his tower. This was traditionally the chapel of all dukes of Naxos. The temple was complemented in 1680 and is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin. The chapel was a church of the Jesuits when they came to the island. Capella Kazatza is celebrated on December 8, in the feast of Amiantos Syllipsis (Immaculate Conception).

San Antonios di Padua. It is located behind the Catholic Cathedral, next to the Capuchin monastery which it served. It is a small, elegant catholic church. The main altar is dominated by the icon of Agios Antonios of Padua, who came to Naxos probably from France. One of the prettiest places is the pulpit with the gold fretwork. The adjoining monastery of the Capuchin which operated from 1628 to 1956 is housed in a building donated to the fraternity by the Naxos nobleman Ioannis Anapliotis (or Nafpliotis), who lived for the last 30 years of his life with the Capuchins.

Ursulines Monastery. It is located opposite the Archaeological museum and opened in 1739. It operated as a school to the standards of the Ursuline Convent in Paris. As it was the first French Girls’ School in Greece it accepted girls from areas outside the island as well. For many years it was one of the most famous educational institutes of Greece and one of the best schools of the eastern Aegean. In the 1970s it was closed. Part of the monastery operates as a cultural and conference centre and another part belongs to the Catholic Church.

Jesuit School. Today it houses the Archaeological museum. The school was founded by the fraternity of Jesuit fathers in 1627 and after centuries Salesian monks turned it into the famous French Commercial School of Naxos.

add
Calendar
December  2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31
<< >>
My Aegean
EU
Co-financed by Greece and the European Union - European Regional Development Fund
ESPA